DEALING WITH A DEAD MOUSE OR RAT
You've come home and found a dead rat or mouse - congratulations, you're on the way to eradicating the pests in your home. The problem facing you now is - what to do with your dead mouse or rat?
KEEP PETS AWAY
Your dog or cat may be fascinated with the dead mouse or rat, but it's important that they don't play with it, and especially important they do not eat it. Rodents carry diseases and germs which can be picked up by your pet. Also, if the rat or mouse was poisoned your pet may also become poisoned. So praise your pet, but take it away quickly.
If you are using rat traps, you might want to start by putting on some rubber gloves. Carefully lift trap and remove the dead rodent. If you are squeamish, as many people are, you can simply put newspaper underneath the trap, fold up the mess and put it into the bin.
DISPOSING OF YOUR DEAD RAT OR MOUSE
The best way of disposing of your dead rat or mouse is to wrap it in newspaper and put it in the rubbish bin. It's not advisable to bury the body in the garden as pets and other animals might dig it up and become sick from the poison or diseases that rodents carry.
WALL CAVITIES AND HARD-TO-REACH AREAS
If you can smell a dead rat or mouse in hard-to-reach area such as in a wall or roof cavity or under the floor the best advice is to wait a couple of weeks. Generally, rodents will decompose and dry out within 2 weeks. Put in some room fresheners in the meantime and the problem will soon be gone.