PREVENTING RATS & MICE
Rats and mice love warmth, shelter, abundant food and water. If you have rats or mice in your home it's likely that you're providing them with these conditions. To get rid of the problem and prevent further outbreaks the first step is to change the environment.
REMOVE ACCESS TO SHELTER
Rats and mice can invade through tiny openings. Once they're in your home they can damage the building structure and electrical wires.
Here are a few steps you can take to prevent mice and rats getting into your home:
- Seal any breaks or openings in the house with wire mesh or copper wool.
- Repair doors and windows so they close properly.
- Make sure garage doors seal properly.
- Remove any excess clutter or materials that can be used for nesting such as roof insulation and fabric.
- Inspect your roof for signs of rodent activity.
- Remove any building materials, piles of wood or debris on the ground.
- Cover any open pipes or drains with grates.
- In the garden, remove overgrown weeds and overhanging tree branches.
- Check for any signs of entrance in the kitchen and bathroom where abundant water can be appealing.
REMOVE FOOD AND WATER SOURCES
Before using RATSAK® make sure you remove any other food or water sources. It's far easier for rats and mice to take the bait if there are no other food sources around.
Here are some tips for removing the most popular rat and mice food sources:
- Make sure rubbish bins have secure-fitting lids.
- Dispose of garbage regularly.
- Store food in sealer containers.
- Don't leave pet food lying around.
- Remove bird feeders. Keep bird feeders clean.
- Make sure compost bins are well maintained with secure-fitting lids and are located away from the home.
- Eliminate bird baths, standing water as well as other water sources.
- Remove old pots filled with water.
- Fix leaky water pipes and dripping faucets.